Putney High School

Putney High School

Putney High School has been at the forefront of educating girls for more than a century. As we continue to innovate and prepare young women for the challenges of today, we do so with a proud tradition of nurturing talent and bringing out the best in girls.

1893: East Putney High School opens at Burlington House, Upper Richmond Road with 54 pupils and becomes the 35th school of the Girls Public Day School Company [GPDSC]. School emblem is the violet.

1895: Albert House opposite Burlington House is also used as school premises.

1899: The Kindergarten and First Forms remain at Albert House whilst the rest of the school moves to 18 Carlton Road. The school now has 200 pupils.

1906: Homefield, 37 Putney Hill, is purchased, altered and opens in 1910 as the Junior School.

1915: Senior School moves to Cromwell and renamed Putney High School.

1918: Lytton House is bought and the Junior School moves in during the Summer Term.

1920s: Electric lighting is installed, the Long Corridor is built, purple blazers with the oak emblem are introduced and school numbers reach 450.

1930s: Boys are admitted to the nursery which opens in Lytton House with carpentry and football introduced into the nursery syllabus. The nursery does not reopen after the Second World War.

1940s: The Metropolitan Police take possession of the school buildings. Some pupils are evacuated to Queen Anne’s School, Caversham whilst the school moves to 398 Upper Richmond Road. The school is reunited back at Putney in time for its Golden Jubilee in 1943.

1950s: The school has 600 pupils, the General Certificate of Education is introduced, the Building Fund is launched to raise funds for new Sixth Form rooms.

1960s: The Sixth Form gradually come out of uniform, the streaming of Forms is abolished, ‘Miss Putney High School’ competitions are popular, the new Sixth Form Block opens.

1970s: The Science Block is completed, Putney moves from Direct Grant to Independent status, the Bursary Appeal raises its target of £100,000 in a year, Homefield becomes the music block.

1980s: The Junior School Hall and the Lockley Centre open, Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester opens the new School Hall, the Music Festival begins, the Trust introduces local school governing bodies, Putney becomes a rowing school.

1990s: The school’s Centenary is celebrated with a Service of Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey and a river cruise from Putney to Greenwich for the whole school, the Galbraith teaching block and the Sports Hall open, the Senior Choir tours New Zealand, the Poetry Festival begins, Garden House and the Science Room are opened at Lytton House, the Leavers’ Ball with a marquee on the lawn is introduced.

2000s: Psychology and Chinese Mandarin become part of the curriculum, lacrosse is introduced, the Senior School Library is refurbished with a mezzanine floor, the new Art Studio with barrel vaulted roof is created, the Junior School’s building programme is completed with the creation of an ICT suite , the Junior and Senior School enjoy Celebrating Success events.

2012: The state-of-the-art new Sixth Form Centre is officially opened. -

Official Website: www.putneyhigh.gdst.net

Weather

8°C

Putney, London

Light Rain

Humidity: 93%

Wind: 20.92 km/h

  • 24 Mar 2016

    12°C 7°C

  • 25 Mar 2016

    14°C 6°C

Elbrus Solutions Web Design Company London

Website, graphic design and web development company based in Putney.

Hedonist Magazine

LIFESTYLE MAGAZINE OF INSPIRED IMAGES